Friday, February 4, 2011

Two dislikes equals one like?

One of the perks of living in Collegiate over the traditional dorms is the kitchen. This semester I only get 80 meals in the cafeteria. I made that decision at the end of last year. I pay about $1,500 less this semester than last. And I am not missing much other than socializing.

The food in the cafeteria was usually pretty bad. Not to mention they would serve the same thing over and over week to week. I can do that on my own, in my own room, and make it taste better. So I decided to sacrifice a little social time (which means I see a lot less of many of my friends this year unfortunately), and eat in the cafeteria for dinner on Monday through Friday. So far it has worked well. I cook on the weekends and have leftovers during the week, or make a sandwich for lunch. Every now and then I skip a day's meal in the cafeteria and it allows me to go on the weekend or for lunch or something. I also half wonder if there is a correlation between me not having nearly the stress and not having the meal plan? It seems I waste a little less time.

Tonight I used my time to try something new. I find it funny how I can mix two things I do not like and make something I do like. For example, I do not like peanut butter. I do not like apples. But when I combine the two it makes for a healthy snack that actually tastes pretty good. Tonight I tried peanut butter and celery. (I don't like celery.) After the first couple of chews it tasted pretty good. Then of course, I am not a big fan of peas, onions or carrots either but I made vegetable soup (no meat).

The broth of the soup was onion soup. Then the rest of the ingredients were carrots, green beans, peas, corn, celery and tomatoes. I like green beans, tomatoes and corn. I actually liked the soup too.I had four friends to help me eat it tonight and everyone agreed it was good. I still have left-overs and probably enough that if I am the only one eating it, I would have lunch and dinner for the next week and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)